To Read Tami's Story from the Beginning

Just CLICK HERE. Her blog begins on March 12, 2009 with a post titled "Tami's Myelodysplasia Diagnosis." Then at the bottom of each post, click on the words "Newer Post" located just below the comments section on each page.


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An update from Anh who also suffers from MDS

Friends,

My family and I want to thank you for all of the love and support you have shown us over the last year. Words will never be able to adequately express our gratitude.

An update and good news are in order.

With regard to my health, last summer’s bleak situation has significantly improved. I am responding to medication, my blood counts are up, and I have not needed a transfusion since January. I am working my full office schedule and going to the gym every day. Even though I still have MDS, the future looks positive.

While we have not found a match for me, the work we have undertaken together has been nothing short of remarkable. We have added approximately 10,000 new donors to the National Marrow Donor Program’s Be The Match Registry. Every one of these donors gives hope to those who need a transplant now, and to those who may be diagnosed with a blood cancer in the future. In fact, we know for certain that three people we registered have matched and donated to persons needing a transplant. That means we have saved three lives in addition to potentially many more in the future!

Our efforts have attracted the attention of the media, in particular People Magazine. I was flattered to have been recognized by People as one of their “Heroes Among Us.” Through October 8, the magazine is conducting an online vote for its “Hero of the Year.” The winner will receive a $10,000 donation from OnStar to be directed to the charity of the winner’s choice. If we win, we would direct the money toward further donor registration efforts. You can vote as often as you would like (no registration necessary) at www.people.com/readerhero.

Simply put, I am not a hero -- we are all heroes. We are all heroes for registering ourselves and encouraging others to Be The Match for someone in need. Together, let’s continue to save lives and provide hope.

With all best wishes,

Anh

Read the entire People Magazine article about Dr. Anh Reiss by CLICKING HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment